Now that the days are getting hotter many of us will be spending lots of time at the pool. A swimming pool can provide hours and hours of fun, excitement and relaxation. It is important to realize that along with all the fun comes risks and dangers. Before letting our children go swimming it is our job as adults to take all precautions necessary. Here are some tips that will help you keep everybody safe at the pool.
1. Never leave a child unsupervised by a pool even if you think he or she knows how to swim.
2. Whoever is watching the pool should realize how serious the situation is and should not take their eyes off for even a second.
3. If any distractions arise such as a phone call or the use of the bathroom, remove the children from the pool.
4. Do not use any flotation device as a substitute for adult supervision.
5. Never use a pool with a pool cover partially on because a child may become entrapped in it.
6. Keep a telephone and emergency numbers available at the pool in case necessary.
7. Always keep rescue equipment available at the pool.
8. Place tables, chairs and ladders far from the pool area to prevent children from climbing in to the pool area.
9. Keep toys away from the pool because a young child may run into the pool to get his toy.
Make sure you watch your child carefully and take all precautions necessary. Have a great time at the pool!