Obviously, choosing a responsible day care provider for your child is one of the most important decisions you are going to make. There are many key points to look out for when looking into a child care provider but knowing what to be aware of can help make your decision. Here are just a few:
- Teachers are the key ingredient. Talk with the director. See if all the teachers have the educational qualifications necessary to provide your children the proper education that they need. Try to observe the teachers to see how they respond to the children’s needs and desires. Does the teacher provide individual attention to all students? Does the teacher play favorites?
- Curriculum: You must make sure that the curriculum helps promote the child’s cognitive, social, emotional and physical development. Talk with the teachers and see how well they plan and implement the curriculum and how they pay attention to each child’s individual needs. See if they provide ongoing evaluations to measure each child’s development.
- Communication: Does the center know how to communicate with the parents? How do they keep you informed on your child’s performance? How often do they communicate with you?
- Health and Safety: As you take a walk around the classrooms make sure they have age appropriate supplies and materials. Find out if all staff is certified in CPR and how often they update it. Make sure the outdoor play area is safe and fully fenced in.
- After you took the tour think to yourself “Was the director helpful? Did she act professional”? Would you be comfortable to approach her with any concerns or questions? Are you calm about leaving your child there? Whatever stage you are up to in doing your research, making a list of questions will certainly help guide you. Remember that you know best what your child needs, your the expert! You’ll know it’s right when you see it. Good luck!